Resources for shelters
Grant programs to fund safe pet housing programs
- RedRover’s Safe Escape grants offer timely financial support to enable victims and their pets to leave abusive homes. Grants, up to $500, are available on a case-by-case basis throughout the United States and may be used to pay for emergency boarding and veterinary care. For safety reasons, applications must be submitted online by a case worker or domestic violence shelter representative.
- RedRover’s Safe Housing grants fund start-up costs for domestic violence shelters seeking to house pets on-site. Grants, up to $6,000, are offered on a one-time basis throughout the United States.
- American Kennel Club’s Humane Fund Women's Shelter Grants are awarded for essential operational support relating to the housing of pets or capital improvements specifically for the housing of pets.
- RedRover’s recorded and upcoming webinars about safe pet housing solutions
- Sheltering Animals and Families Together (SAF-T) start up guide (PDF)
- National Link Coalition training opportunities
The following organizations have programs that specifically address helping pets in domestic violence situations on a national scale.
- Animal Legal Defense Fund
- National Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NCADV), List of state coalitions prepared by NCADV.
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- National Link Coalition
- National Resource Center on Domestic Violence (NRCDV)
- Sheltering Animals and Families Together (SAF-T)
Resources for victims
If you are a victim of domestic violence and need immediate assistance call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1.800.799.7233 .
Tips from the National Domestic Violence Hotline for what victims can do to safely leave abusive situations.
SafeNight provides staff members at domestic violence and anti-trafficking service organizations a secure way to crowdsource funding. SafeNight mobile app will alert individual donors that their funding is needed to cover the cost of a hotel room when local domestic violence shelters are full.
Pet protective orders
Learn which states have laws that include pets in protective orders .