Pets Are Family: Help families and pets find safety together
RedRover is working to connect pet-friendly domestic violence resources with people in abusive situations.
Studies show that 68% of households in the U.S. include pets, and up to 50% of domestic violence survivors delay leaving out of concern for their pets. We believe that pets are family, which is why RedRover is helping families and pets find safety, together, through our Safe Housing and Safe Escape programs.
There's an easy way you can help people and pets escape abuse. We’ve created a wallet-sized resource card that you can give to people who may need it. This small act of “passing it on” can help people - and pets - find safety from violence. This card directs people here, to our Safe Place for Pets website, where they can find pet-friendly resources in their area. Our goal is for these wallet cards to be distributed nationwide - and this is where you come in.
Please help us connect our resources with the people who need them. If you work with people in crisis, are someone who people may confide in about abuse, or know someone who you think could use these cards to refer people to our website, complete the order form, and we will send you a pack of 10 wallet cards to distribute.
Volunteers are essential to making many domestic violence programs that help pets possible. Here are some ways to lend a hand to further this cause.
- Learn all you can. View the training section on our resource page to learn about various online and offline ways to increase your expertise about the topic.
- Spread the word. Share our “8 signs that may indicate an abusive relationship” infographic with the people in your community.
- Share the link to www.SafePlaceforPets.org. You can encourage domestic violence shelters, animal groups and others to embed these images into their websites.
- Lend a hand on-site. Use Safe Place search to a find local shelter; contact them about volunteering. Organize supply drive for local shelter.
- Donate no-longer-used wireless phones and accessories in any condition from any wireless provider at any Verizon Wireless Communications Store, through a HopeLine® phone drive.
This project is funded entirely by private donations. Please support our work.