If you think you are experiencing abuse or violence in a relationship and need assistance, call the National Domestic Violence Hotline 1.800.799.7233.
Tips from the National Domestic Violence Hotline for what survivors can do to safely leave abusive situations.
SafeNight provides staff members at domestic violence and anti-trafficking service organizations a secure way to crowdsource funding. SafeNight mobile app will alert individual donors that their funding is needed to cover the cost of a hotel room when local domestic violence shelters are full.
Internet searches will leave a browsing history that can be seen by others who use the same computer. Here is information on how to clear your browser history in any browser. Here is a link to domesticshelters.org and their tips for safe internet use across multiple devices.
Resources for shelters
- RedRover’s Safe Escape grants offer timely financial support to enable survivors and their pets to leave abusive homes. Grants are available on a case-by-case basis throughout the United States and may be used to pay for emergency boarding and veterinary care. For safety reasons, applications must be submitted online by a case worker or domestic violence shelter representative.
- RedRover’s Safe Housing grants fund start-up costs for domestic violence shelters seeking to house pets on-site. Grants, up to $20,000, are offered on a one-time basis throughout the United States.
- American Kennel Club’s Humane Fund Women's Shelter Grants are awarded for essential operational support relating to the housing of pets or capital improvements specifically for the housing of pets.
- RedRover’s recorded webinar about safe pet housing solutions
- Sheltering Animals and Families Together (SAF-T) start up guide (PDF)
- National Link Coalition training opportunities
The following organizations have programs that specifically address helping pets in domestic violence situations on a national scale.
- Animal Legal Defense Fund
- National Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NCADV), List of state coalitions and other resources prepared by NCADV.
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- National Link Coalition
- National Resource Center on Domestic Violence (NRCDV)
- Sheltering Animals and Families Together (SAF-T)
Pet protective orders
Learn which states have laws that include pets in protective orders .